Monday, December 13, 2010

My Curiosity

by makelessniose
If I have to write something about curiosity I will write about why should I learn history. It started when I was in grade 4, the first time I knew about history. I learned about World War I and II. There were so many parties involved and then each time they kept growing and created new countries. After one war was finished something changed for a while before another war erupted. I hate the feeling that I had to remember the chronologies and people and the place and the time and the events of what happened in each country such as the conference, and the pledges. Each event leads to another complicated event. It is like a never-ending circle.

Another topic that I dislike was about kingdom. Mostly it was about what has the king done such as the temple, the inscription, the royal and the people who work for them.  There are so many kingdoms in Indonesia. Each of them has their own influences a philosophy and power to be the best. The complication starts when the kingdom was divided into two and at the same time, another kingdom was created, which means more things to remember.

The worst is, I have to memorize all of it accurately in order to pass the test. So in my head, it is full of the name of the people, the time, the places, the name of the kingdom, the religions, the reason it collapsed, the successor after the king died, the contents of the pledge and the effect of it, which I think all are useless. Until these days I still don’t understand what is the benefit of learning history. The heroes are died, the places was bombed, and the people are killed, it is all happened at the past and we cannot change even a thing, so why we have to learn history if there is no significance in the real life?

1 comment:

  1. Hi-

    I am a history teacher in Japan and I think you have some really great arguments. History is more than memorizing dates and places and names. I am really bad at memorizing and I used to forget dates as soon as the test was over, too. But for me, history helps me understand the world. So as an example, I just moved to Japan and I want to understand why the people here act the way they do. So I checked out a history book on Japan from the library. History is like a detective case. We want to know "Why do people fight wars (like WWII)?" "How can countries with lots of philosophies/religions exist (like Indonesia)? The dates,names, places are just clues to help us solve the case. And if we can understand why wars happen or what happens when people with different philosophies live together, we can maybe stop the cycle of bombs or killing that you talk about.

    Again, really fantastic questions. I hope this helps. You really made me think about why I think history is important. I'm excited to see what you write about later. Have a wonderful winter break.

    Rebekah Madrid
    Yokohama International School

    ReplyDelete